Dr. Donn's Philosophy
You are the most important person in your pet's life. In my 43 years of practice, I have had the opportunity to know and learn from a lot of pet owners; and, I have treated many pets from birth until their final days. Our veterinary hospital evolved to help owners who want every option to help their pets achieve optimal health. We believe in the unique qualities of each individual.
Here are principles that guide us in pioneering services to help our holistic pet parents help their pets:
- First do no harm, by using methods and medicines that minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- Treat the causes of disease, by identifying and removing the underlying causes of illness, rather than suppressing symptoms.
- Honor the power of nature, by recognizing an inherent ability in the body that is ordered and intelligent. We strive to not interfere with the powerf ul innate healing power of nature.
- Emphasize prevention, by partnering with pet owners to assess risk factors and recommend appropriate interventions to help maintain health and preven t illness.
- Support the healing power of the body, by recognizing and removing obstacles to the body’s inherent self-healing process.
- Combine a modern high-tech veterinary hospital with alternative and complementary methods to achieve optimal results.
Here are some typical examples of how we assist holistic pet parents:
- Using Chinese herbs and acupuncture for an itching patient, while prescribing a special diet for food allergies and advising the pet parent on how to safely remove and prevent fleas in the home. This approach enables us to avoid steroids and other suppressive drugs that are conventionally used in both human and veterinary medicine.
- Identifying bladder stones on both cat and dog X-rays and treating with a special diet.
- Customizing vaccination visits, with some owners deciding to get Canine Influenza Virus (CIV) vaccine for their dogs, as CIV is now endemic in Centra l Ohio.
- Removing malignant tumors from a canine patient and making a homeopathic nosode from the tissue. We prescribe Chinese herbal immune boosters, offer referral to a specialty center, and offer monitoring and follow-up care.
- Administering acupuncture and/or chiropractic to any of a number of patients on a daily basis to help heal a wide variety of conditions.
"Holistic" means combining the best we can find, whether it is old or new, as long as it is safe and effective. We prefer safer medicines and a more natural approach.
We learn everything that we can about safe ways to manage a healthy lifestyle, and we share what we learn every day at our hospital.
It is our privilege to have holistic pet parents who keep copies of their pets’ medical records, keep diaries of their observations, learn about and provide their pets the best diets, give training and emotional support, provide regular exercise, and seek the best methods for optimal health by educating themselves about what is available to help. Most holistic pet parents bring their pets in twice a year so that we can examine their pets, exchange observations, and share the latest health care information.
We spend our lives learning, listening, and sharing what we know to optimize health.